"..whose bearings are about eight miles east-south-east from Newport, five miles south from Ryde. a mile-and-half south from Brading, and two miles north of Sandown. It commands a glorious view of Sandown Bay. The Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist in 1889, when it was restored at a cost of £2,000, is one of the most interesting ancient structures of the Isle of Wight. It is in the Norman style of architecture, with nave, chancel, and a small bell turret. It was built in the 12th century and altered in the 15th. The entrance is through an arch which originally formed a portion of a cell dedicated to St. Urian. The Rev J. N. Palmer, M.A., has, since the restoration, presented the church with a handsome reredos, wrought in veined alabaster, with figures in white alabaster. In the centre panel is the figure of Our Lord in glory and in the panels on each side are figures of adoring angels. On either side of these central figures are representations of St. John the Baptist and the Prophet Elijah. Other interesting emblems are worked out in this handsome art study. Yaverland Manor House, as well as the Church. provides a rare study for antiquarians.
CHURCH AND MANOR HOUSE
We should do well now to turn back a few yards into the road which strikes off at a north angle, passing over the railway at Yarbridge (near the Roman Villa, of which more anon), into "Ye anciente towne’ of Brading. "
The Minerva Isle of Wight Pictorial and Guide - circa 1900