"This place is close to East Cowes, which, with Barton, is incorporated in it as a civil parish.

Whippingham Church


The Church of St. Mildred was re-built in the year 1862 in the Transition style. It comprises chancel, south porch, aisles, transepts, nave, and central tower and pinnacles, with small spire. A western turret contains one bell. In 1855 her Majesty the Queen had the chancel erected at her own cost. In it are fine memorials to the Prince Consort, Prince Leopold, and the Princess Alice The Queen and Royal Family regularly attended the public services at this church when at Osborne, until a new private chapel was erected in the palace a few years ago. At Whippingham there are eight almshouses, erected and endowed by the Queen. 

Osborne House


the residence of the Queen, is in this parish. It stands on a gentle slope on the banks of the Solent off Osborne Bay. It is understood to have been principally designed by the late Prince Consort, Albert the Good, who delighted in the beautiful surroundings. It was built in the years 1845 to 1848. At one end is a flag tower, the flag flying when the Queen is in residence; at the other is a clock tower, 100 and 90 feet high respectively. Beautiful terraces run along the northeast front, with ornamental fountains. Close to the water there is an Esplanade, and provision is made for landing from small boats. The palace is kept as a strictly private residence. 

There is a railway station on the Ryde and Newport line.   

Letters from West Cowes delivered at 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. and dispatched at 6 a.m. and 5.30 p.m. " {Wootton

The Minerva Isle of Wight Pictorial and Guide - circa 1900