"This parish is four miles eastward from Yarmouth, the village of Ningwood, with its railway Station, being passed en route. The church is an ancient structure of the Early English style, with Norman touches here and there. It contains chancel, south aisle, nave, north and south porches, and square embattled western tower and low spire with two bells. It is capable of accommodating 350 worshippers.

The Wesleyans have a place of worship here, and the Baptists and Primitive Methodists meet for worship at Wellow, two miles to the south-west. Shalfleet contains three manors— Shalfleet, Wellow, and Ningwood, the lords being Sir Barririgton Simeon, Bart., Lord Heylesbury, and Mr F. White Popham, J.P., respectively. " {Newtown}

The Minerva Isle of Wight Pictorial and Guide - circa 1900