four miles south of Ryde and three west ward of Sandown. Formerly this was a civil parish reaching out to Ryde on the one hand and Ventnor on the other. It has a station on the Sandown and Newport line. The Church of All Saints’ was one of the churches associated with the name of William Fitz-Osborne, one of the Conqueror’s officers. The Wesleyans have a Chapel in this neighbourhood, Apse Heath, and the Congregationalists at Langbridge.  Ashey Down runs from east to west on its northern confines, rising at Brading Down and running through the Island to St. George’s Down, which terminates at Newport. 

Alverstone is an immediate suburb, a mile from Sandown. " {Wroxall}

The Minerva Isle of Wight Pictorial and Guide - circa 1900