Kingston, Shorwell, Gatcombe, Calbourne, Mottistone, Brixton/Brightsone and Brooke
"It has an ancient Parish Church (St. Paul’s), built of stone and in the Early English style, with nave, south porch, western turret and bell, and a chancel. It can accommodate between 70 and 80 worshippers. The parish is the smallest in the Island so far as the population are concerned, the 1891 census showing it then to be only 68, a decrease of one during the preceding decade.
Letters arrive at 10 a.m. for delivery ; the nearest letter box is at Chale Green.
Two miles further to the north-west we come to Shorwell. St. Peter’s Parish Church is an object of interest. It is built of flint and stone, and situated conspicuously on an eminence. It contains some exceedingly interesting monuments.
There is also a Wesleyan Chapel at Shorwell.
About the same distance to the north is
through which the main road passes to Newport, from which it is only about three miles. The Parish Church, St. Olive, is built in the Norman style, with chancel, nave, south porch, and embattled western tower, with three bells. The tower is adorned with pinnacles. A strange looking monument is to be seen in this church, supposed to represent St. Rhadagund. The edifice provides for 180 worshippers.
Letters are received from Newport at 7.30 a.m., and the wall box cleared at 6 p.m. No postal business on Sundays.
Now we will return to Calbourne, two miles westward of Gatcombe. It has a station on the Newport and Freshwater line of railway, and is five miles from Newport and five from Yarmouth. The Parish Church of All Saints, an ancient edifice, was restored in 1842 at a cost of £2,550. It contains sitting accommodation for 300 worshippers.
Letters arrive from Newport 8.45 a.m. and are dispatched at 5.5 p.m. Letter box cleared at 4.45 p.m. Before leaving the back of the Wight we must say a word about Mottistone, Brixton, and Brooke.
has a Parish Church capable of accommodating 200 worshippers; it contains interesting memorials of the Bassett and other families.
or Brighstone, is about a mile southward of Mottistone and seven from Newport. The Parish Church of St. Mary is in the Early English style, and of some antiquity, the register dating from 1566. The embattled western tower contains five bells. The Bible Christians have a Chapel and Sunday School building at the west end of the village.
At Brighstone Grange in 1860 a lifeboat station and boat were established, and this boat was recently substituted by the Worcester Cadet lifeboat, the gift of the cadets of the Worcester training ship. The lifeboat rendered valuable service when the Eider ran aground on Atherfield Ledge in February, 1892; it and its predecessor have been employed in the rescue of some 300 lives.
Letters arrive for delivery (through Newport) at 8 a.m., and are dispatched at 5.15 p.m.
is about three miles westward of Brixton, and ten from Newport, and is situated on the southern coast line. The Church of St. Mary was erected in 1864, at a cost of £1575, the old one having been destroyed by fire during the preceding year. It is built of stone in the Gothic style, and contains chancel, transepts, nave, and a south tower, with a peal of eight tubular bells. Mr. Charles Seely, of Brooke House, is the lord of the manor and chief landowner. Brooke has a lifeboat and station, the boat having done good service, and assisted in the rescue of the passengers and crew of the Eider.
Letters from Newport for delivery at 9.30 a.m., and dispatched at 4.15 p.m. Wall letter box cleared at 4.5 p.m., and on Sundays at 9.55 a.m. A four or five mile ride over Afton Down brings us to Freshwater."
The Minerva Isle of Wight Pictorial and Guide - circa 1900