"lies on the east side of the river, and is reached in this direction by means of a floating bridge, pedestrians being charged halfpenny per journey, it is an ecclesiastical parish, separated from Whippingham. The Local Government Act was adopted in 1859 and the town is governed by a Board of twelve members. 

St James’s Church is of stone, built in 1833, the foundation stone having been laid in 1831 by the Queen, then Princess Victoria. It contains 600 sittings, as well as many interesting memorials. 

The Wesleyans, Congregationalists, and Bible Christians have places of worship at East Cowes. 

Near the floating bridge is Trinity Wharf, belonging to Trinity House, but used by her Majesty the Queen and Royal Family in passing to and from Osborne. At the point we note 

Norris Castle


Letters from West Cowes at 7, 10.30, and 11.30 a.m., and dispatched at 8.50 a.m., and 12.20, 4.30, 6.25, and 7.30 p.m. Sundays 7.30 p.m. Wall boxes:  Old road, 8.30 and 11.15 a.m., and 6.45 p.m. Sundays  6.45 p.m. Marlboro’ road, 8.10 and 10.45 a.m. and 6.10 p.m.;  Sundays 6.10 p.m. Alfred street,  8 and 10.30 a.m., and 6 p.m.; Sundays 6 p.m. Park, 8.35 a.m., noon and 6 p.m.; Sundays 8.35 p.m.  Albert Grove, 8.35 a.m., noon and 6 p.m.; Sundays 8.35 p.m. " {Whippingham}

The Minerva Isle of Wight Pictorial and Guide - circa 1900