".........also in the parish of Newchurch, has a station on the Ryde and Ventnor line, two miles from Shanklin and two from Ventnor. There are a small Church and a Bible Christian and Primitive Methodist Chapels here. One of the principal features of Wroxall is the stately mansion at Appuldurcombe, built by the Yarborough family. It is now used as a school for young gentlemen. The monument on the down was erected to the memory of the Earl of Yarborough. 


Letters distributed 6 and 10 am., Sundays, 6 a.m. dispatched 11.45 a.m., 1 and 8.15 p.m. 

Whiteley Bank is about one mile north of Wroxall. Letter box cleared at 7.8 p.m., and at Clevelands Shute 12.40 and 7.40. 

Apse Heath, two miles north-west from Shanklin, two from Sandown, is also in the parish of Newchurch. There is a Wesleyan Chapel here, erected in 1873. 

Branstone is 1¼ miles from Wroxall in the north-west, Winford about a mile, Princelett about a mile and a half; Wackland, Winstone, Knighton, Queenbower, Mersley, and Sandford (with a Bible Christian Chapel) also in the same parish or immediate neighbourhood. " {Arreton

The Minerva Isle of Wight Pictorial and Guide - circa 1900