Search again

Whippingham - Kelly 1889 - Civic, Commercial and Private entries- Page 1

(Some road names have changed over the years, see this document for some further info.)

    see in 1859     see in 1878     see in 1898     see in 1911     see in 1927     see in 1935

29 Results

Whippingham, Private
Her Most Gracious Majesty the Queen, Osborne house
Battenberg H.R.H. Prince Henry Maurice of K.G. (Governor of the Island), & Princess Beatrice Mary C.I.
Jolliffe The Misses, Padmore
Jones Rev. Orton Arundel (curate), Curate's house
Prothero Rev. Canon George M.A. [rector], Rectory
Whippingham, Commercial
Attrill Edward, parish clerk
Blake Andrew, land steward to Her Majesty the Queen, Barton manor
Dredge William, farmer, Kingston farm
Forsyth Robert, farm bailiff to Her Majesty, Barton farm
Hall John Henry, Dairyman, Fairlee cottage receives letters through Newport
Hawkins John, farrier to Her Majesty & post office
Meades William, Folly Inn
Knighton Henry & Thomas, farmers, Palmer's, Alverston, Heathfield farms & Little Padmore
Mew Richard, farmer, New Fairlee receives letters through Newport
Morris Edwin & Wallace Edwin, farmers, North Fairlee receives letters through Newport
Morris Frederick, & Harry Lewis, farmers, Binfield receives letters through Newport
Morris Mark, farmer, South Fairlee receives letters through Newport
Roach James & John, millers (water & steam), East Medina mill receives letters through Newport
Whippingham, Civic
WHIPPINGHAM is a parish and station on Newport and Ryde Railway, adistant about 1 1/2 miles from East Cowes and 3 1/2 miles north-by-east from Newport ;bounded by the Motherbank on the north-east, and on the west by the river Medina. East Cowes and Barton are in the civil parish of Whippingham, but separate parishes for ecclesiastical purposes only.
The church of St. Mildred, originally dedicated in the 12th century, was rebuilt in the years 1861 and 1862, in the Transition style from Early English; if is a massive building of stone, the chancel belongs to Her Majesty the Queen, and was built at her sole cost in 1855 ; it contains a very fine memorial to the Prince Consort and memorials to the Prince Leopold and Princess Alice, executed at the expense of Her Majesty ; all the windows are stained: a piece of curiously carved stone from the original structure has been built into the west wall of the south porch ; there are 350 sittings.
there are 8 almshouses erected and endowed by Her Majesty the Queen.
OSBORNE HOUSE, the beautiful marine residence of Her Majesty, built by the Queen and Prince Albert in 1845-48, is in this, parish ; the house is noble mansion, in the Palladian style, with a flag tower 100 feet high and a clock tower 90 feet in height, situated on an eminence commanding very extensive and beautiful views, with a lawn sloping to the sea. On the north-east front of the house is a series of magnificent terraces in the Italian style with 3 ornamental fountains and exotic plants ; on the north lawn is a gigantic vase of Swedish granite, over 20 feet high, from the Exhibition of 1851: there is a paved esplanade by the sea, two thirds of mile in length.
H. M. the Queen is lady of the manor. The principal landowners are Her Majesty, R. S. Holford esq. of Weston Birt, Gloucestershire, Miss Jolliffe, of Padmore, Cornwallis Wykeham Martin esq. of Leeds Castle, Kent, J. Batten, of Fairlee House and Lord Gort, of East Cowes Castle.
There are 4,631 acres of land, and 394 water end foreshore ; rateable value, including East Cowes, GBP19,043 ; the population, including 2,543 in the town of East Cowes and 1,334 in Barton, in 1881 was 4,528,
Barton is a small village 3 miles south : was formerly an ecclesiastical district of Whippingham parish, but now, by Lord Blandford's Act, a separate parish for ecclesiastical purposes. For description and names of residents, see Newport, of which town it is a suburb.
Parish Clerk & Sexton, Edward Attrill
POST OFFICE. - John Hawkins, receiver. The nearest money order & telegraph is at East Cowes.
National School (mixed & infants), built, in 1864 for 120children ; average attendance 55 boys & girls & 21 infants ; Miss Ida Helen Thomas, mistress ; Miss Kate Stevens, assistant mistress
Railway Station, George Merwood, station master
29 Results

Search again

[Search 1844 directory]     [Search 1859 directory]     [Search 1898 directory]    [Search 1911 directory]     [Search 1927 directory]

[1904 street]    [1935 street]    [1951 street]